Role of an OTA & PTA
- Physiotherapy in Canada (CPA) https://physiotherapy.ca/description-physiotherapist-assistants
This site provides a general description of the role of PTAs and may be helpful to share with anyone who is not clear on how physiotherapist assistants work in Canada. The site offers a wealth of practice and current professional development resources. A link to the Essential Competency Profile for PTAs in Canada (2011) is available from this website. For more information on how to join a branch of CPA or the National Physiotherapist Assistant Assembly (NPAA) post graduation, see: https://physiotherapy.ca/national-physiotherapist-assistant-assembly
- Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) http://caot.ca/site/rfs/res_for_students?nav=sidebar
This is the official site for OTs ad OTAs in Canada. There are various links to current practice areas and related resources for OTs/OTAs. The link to the Practice Profile for Support Personnel in Occupational Therapy (2009) can be found on this site. To join CAOT as an OTA post graduation see: http://caot.in1touch.org/site/mbrp/otassistants?nav=sidebar
- Three stories of occupational therapist assistants https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh3Ou5q8XTI&feature=youtu.be
This is a recent video produced by the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) that may be helpful to highlight the unique role and contribution of assistants in occupational therapy settings.
- Celebrating Intraprofessional Collaboration in Occupational Therapy – Special Issue of the Occupational Therapy Now Practice Magazine (March, 2015, Vol 17, Issue 1). https://www.caot.ca/site/pd/OTNow?nav=sidebar
This special edition of OTNOW contains 14 articles that feature and highlight the work of OTAs. All members of CAOT can access these articles free of charge or write to the managing editor at firstname.lastname@example.org
II. Networking & Employment
- PTA/OTA Job Posting for Canadians www.facebook.com/groups/2233454332/
This is a closed group with over 1,300+ members that was created to help OTA & PTAs find employment. Admission to the group is restricted to OTA & PTAs who are working in Canada.
This is a commonly used search engine that lists job vacancies for OTAs and PTAs seeking employment opportunities. For best results enter OTA, PTA or rehabilitation assistant and the location you are seeking employment.
III. Practice Resources
Patient Education Aids
- Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy Health Topics – Wexler Medical Centre, Ohio State University
https://patienteducation.osumc.edu/pages/patienteducation/atoztopicdetail.aspx?t=Physical%20Therapy%20(PT) or, https://patienteducation.osumc.edu/pages/patienteducation/atoztopicdetail.aspx?t=Occupational%20Therapy%20(OT)
This site provides printable patient education aids for occupational therapy and physical therapy intervention in pdf format free of charge.
Both of these toolkits include a comprehensive collection of patient education handouts and treatment guides in pdf format. There is a fee to purchase these collections.
Role of the OTA/PTA in Wheelchair Provision: Part 1 & 2
http://www.sunrisemedical.ca/blog/the-role-of-ota-pta-part-one and http://www.sunrisemedical.ca/blog/the-role-of-the-ota-pta
Both articles support the role of the OTA & PTA in the provision of wheelchair mobility.
- Wheelchair Skills Program – Dalhousie University, Faculty of Medicine
This on-line resource contains training videos as well as printed resources to support wheelchair training.
- Canadian Seating and Mobility Conference http://www.csmc.ca
This is an annual conference in Toronto , ON and features representatives and equipment relevant to anyone involved with wheelchair mobility.
- Evidenced Informed Muscle Manual
This manual is an evidenced based resource to maintain your clinical anatomy skills if you are new on the job or just returning back to work in a clinical environment.
- Stroke Engine – Heart & Stroke Foundation Canadian Partnership for Stroke Rcovery
This is a comprehensive database for health professionals and families who want comprehensive information on stroke rehabilitation.
T.A Use In Paediatric Setings
This website provides resources to promote the delivery of paediatric therapy in BC. There are some historical reports and research reviews on the use of assistants in paediatric settings that may be helpful for OTAs and PTAs interested in expanding their roles in paediatric populations.